Thursday, March 16, 2017

The Great Escape

I am so thankful that we managed to miss most of that big storm this week. We got about 5 cm, about an inch, which blew around like mad creating some spectacular drifts in places.
It's a glorious sunny day, still a bit breezy, but warming up. For this I am grateful!
I've been a little under the weather with a bit of a respiratory bug, but much improved today. After spending most of the last few days laying in bed, my poor body is so stiff and sore. I'm trying to walk and stand today.
I missed yarn along again this week, but that doesn't mean I haven't been knitting. This Pi Shawl is on my big circular needle right now. I'm going to run out of space before it is done. Another participant in my knit along was telling me she is using FOUR 30 inch circulars right now. I think I'm going to have to go on the hunt for another one later today.
I've lost the label already, but the yarn is 75% alpaca and 25% acrylic. It's lovely squishy stuff!

I'm very busy with genealogical projects these days. I'm working with two adoptees who are eager to find their families. One, of course, is my 80 year old aunt. We are close, but I am worried close is as far as we are going to get.  The other person appeared as a close match on my Ancestry DNA page over the weekend. His father is the adoptee. The non-identifying information they were given is VERY familiar to me, and the DNA segments substantiate the match. The gentleman is the grandson of one of my grandmothers siblings. The tricky part is going to be proving WHICH sibling is the parent. Three of the siblings in question were in the right place at the right time and working at the place in question.  I'm working closely with the fellow to optimize the resources. Either way, he is my only living cousin on that family line.....and I'm thrilled to have him in our fold.

Animals, don't we love them

Miss Kitty LOVES a basket of dirty laundry to recline in. When it is in front of Cat TV it is the most comfortable place a cat can be.


It's hard to see the wing marks in this photo, but Mr. Owl swooped down and scooped up one of the many squirrels that hang around here.


My grandpup Steel was here for a visit on the weekend. He was glued to the Pet TV screen as well. Poor boy spend some time looking for his cousin Nemo when they first arrived. He wandered around the house sniffing and whining. Yeah, we felt a little sad too Steel.....

4 comments:

  1. I worked on genealogy for several years, before my grandchildren arrived. It became too time consuming then, and has been abandoned. I never made contact with anyone who could tell me why my paternal grandmother married my paternal grandfather, and that being my biggest question, I abandoned the project with only that regret.
    One family mystery I cleared. My maternal grandfather was an only child. He died in 1945, when I was 18 months old, and his history was eventually recorded by my uncle, his son. I turned up a census record for a child with the same name in reverse: Charles Henry. Eventually I got enough information to show my uncle there had been an older son who died as an infant and the next son received his name in reverse. That child was a complete unknown, probably not mentioned to my grandfather, and my uncle needed to see the census records to believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking at about 20 cm of snow. The sun is shining, though the wind is still bitter.
    Your shawl sounds lovely. I have the circular needles with the interchangeable tips. You can join the cables together to make a longer cable, as you go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got hit by a good amount of snow in the city, so the further east you were, the more you got.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We escaped too. It was just COLD, But it has started to get milder now.

    ReplyDelete