Thursday, April 13, 2017

Happy Easter

My dear Irish Mother, she who was always one to pull off strange statements and observations, always said we could expect winter to last "until Easter". Well folks, we had our snowstorm and Easter is upon us.
So is all this:

Yes folks, it's the week of the annual flood. Some worse than others, this year is getting a lot of press.

The highway is closed just back of my house. This seems to happen every alternate year.


 That isn't my house floating in the pond, but our neighbours. I don't know how they cope with that every year. The nearby village of Killaloe is in an awful mess. The old historic mill, of frame construction, is listing badly. It could very well have toppled into the drink by now as I haven't had an update since last night. Pembroke is also rather worse for wear. We saw a big crane hoisting debris out of the river this morning. The trees and lawn furniture and all sorts of garbage and muck were all caught up on the bridge supports. Many homes and a school are in a bad way. The power and gas has been cut off to that section of town. It's the worst it's been in a few years. I can only think of one that was worse in my 30+ years in the Ottawa Valley.
I'm going to be entertaining over the next few days. I hope you and yours have an enjoyable holiday weekend.

1 comment: