Saturday, May 20, 2017

May 20

It is now official - in the eyes of the Government of Canada, I am a senior citizen! Okay then.  When I got my license renewed the other day, the young lady at Service Ontario told me "You can now fish for free". (She was a hoot. Very refreshing compared to the rest of the snarky you know whats who have worked there too darn long.) It got me a discount on lunch at the sushi place on Friday, hahahahaha.

We had a couple of very hot and humid days then a wicked stormy evening, then some nice cooler days. It is now Saturday of the Victoria Day long weekend. Some call it 2-4 Weekend.  The campgrounds and what not traditionally open this weekend, though many are still closed due to flooding issues. Most of the water ways around here are also no go. The fishermen won't be happy. I forget what season opens this weekend......

One of my lovely birthday gifts was a trip around the county to the garden centers. We drove by the big nurseries which were MAD. The parking lots were full and there were line ups. We stopped at a couple of small greenhouse operations owned by Mennonite folks to the east of us. It was so nice to chat with the vendors. No crowds pushing and obstructing.
My tomatoes didn't do so well, only ten of the twenty or more survived, so I bought several more plants at the greenhouses. We also bought potatoes for planting and two jugs of lovely maple syrup.
The nights are still quite cold so I haven't started planting yet. My perennials are all growing like wild things so there is at least that to look at. The flower buds on the lilacs are starting to show too!



11 comments:

  1. It's busy everywhere this weekend. I haven't planted yet, either. The nights are definitely too cold. Hope you had a lovely birthday and imagine all the discounts you will now enjoy! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the distinguished, wise and experienced club known as "seniors"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lady at the grocery store tell me it was her 87th birthday today. She was a sprite! I have to step up my game if I'm going to be that lively at 87. I come from a family that lived to be quite an advanced age, and given that I don't drink or smoke like they did, I might have a few long years on this road!

      Delete
  3. Every year I can hear my dad saying, "Don't plant before Memorial Day; last recorded frost is May 25th." But,I am so eager and spend money on hanging baskets well before May 31st; then have to repurchase. This year, I've bought nothing. The Gerbera daisy that a coworker gave me is doing well, and that is my yearly planting this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was always the May long weekend in Ontario, but since moving further north in Ontario, it's after the new moon. Which is May 25 this year. We lost all of our tomatoes to frost one June 9!!!

      Delete
  4. A belated Happy Birthday!

    Here in the city, the tulip sites are a madhouse at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the best wishes. We used to enjoy the Tulip Festival when we lived in Ottawa. I have many lovely photos of the children with vast tulip beds as backdrop. There used to be great concerts and events and a night boat parade on the canal. My sister came up from Peterborough one year and we saw Tiny Tim in concert. Weather was very much like this weekend, chilly and wet with a side of bugs.

      Delete
  5. Belated Happy Birthday, Karen! In addition to the seniors' discounts, I think you're now eligible for the Ontario Drug Benefit Plan and annual eye exams?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already been getting those due to a health issue that has plagued me for years. I wish we could get dental care though.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday! Yes, the nurseries have been horrid. We like shopping on off hours!

    ReplyDelete