Friday, June 9, 2017

All this green makes my eyes hurt

We are at that time of year when everything is a lush, vibrant green in these parts. Everything was well soaked for so long! I think the trees are going to have a massive growth spurt this year. I wish I could say the same for my apple tree. The one we planted to replace the one that didn't survive the winter didn't do diddly. It got buds, but that was as far as it got. They are guaranteed for ten years. I'm just not sure if I have to dig the darn thing up and haul it back or just take my paperwork and a photo?

My new roomie, Marlene, and I have been working like busy beavers on the gardening. We have the tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers and some beans planted.  M. was able to till the potato bed this afternoon, so I hope we can get them in the ground right quick. The grass mowing seems to go on and on and on. Too bad we don't have an critters needing green stuff.

Marlene has gone to the city to retrieve the last of her goods from her storage place and that will be the end of her mess in Ottawa. She will be so glad to be finished with all that.

We seemed to get a second wave of black flies the past couple of days. I'm bit up something horrible because I forget my spray or my jacket or whatever. I am waiting patiently for those dragon flies who finish them off. The dragon flies appear when the temperature hits something or other. It is in the forecast so I'm hoping.

I got another bit of the deck stained today with the Thompsons Water Seal. I am so impressed with that stuff!
We had a catastrophe appear today. I noticed some peculiar looking ants around one of the basement windows. On closer inspection, I found the window sill was looking rotted. Well, all of the wood around that window had to be torn out and everything sprayed liberally with a very toxic substance that kills insects. Once that dries up we have to completely reframe the window. We went all around the house looking for other hotspots. Thankfully that windowsill seemed to be the only bed for those horrible guys, but we took all of the framing out anyway.  While I was mixing up the poison, the bottle broke on the basement floor. We've been scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing to be sure none of that horrible stuff gets on the cats feet.

We started looking for another companion dog this week. We've been to the SPCA, who didn't have much to choose from. We've put ads, we've scanned newspapers and FACEBOOK. All we want is a mutt puppy that doesn't have any pitbull in it.  You wouldn't think that was so hard would you? Before anyone else gets in my face about being prejudiced about pits, (there have already been several), I was badly bit by our family raised pit when I was a youngster and they frankly TERRIFY me. I'm a senior citizen already so no comments about "getting over it". That train left the station about 60 years ago.

Tomorrow is M.s birthday so we are off to his fathers for a BBQ. He's going to be pretty tickled with his present!!

4 comments:

  1. My neighbor has a lean and wiry dog with a massive head. "Don't worry, he won't hurt you," I was told early on. Owners of these dogs don't get it. Let me count the ways. I weight 125 pounds on a good day. A good jolt from his shoulder and I'm in for another broken bone or brain concussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that dragonflies eat blackflies. I get bitten terribly by them as well, so I'll be quite happy to have them gone. Good for you getting much of your garden in. That is what I am hoping to do this weekend. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. You apple tree is fine. It's just being like every other apple tree this year. Even our old tree only put out half a dozen blossoms. One of the newer ones (that was loaded last year) didn't put out any. They just didn't like waiting a month for spring. I noticed even the wild ones didn't blossom properly. It's just a funny year.

    Colin's not crazy on German Shepards for the same reason. Did you try Kijiji? I'm pretty sure that's where we found Daisy. FB people want way too much money for a mutt.

    ReplyDelete