Sunday, January 21, 2024

I'm working on it

 We are finally creeping out of the deep freeze. My goodness we've had some bitter cold nights, and days!

I woke up from a fitfull sleep with a headache. Late this afternoon Princess Pup and I harnessed up and went out for a short walk. A longer walk was anticipated, but a good stiff cold breeze made it feel much colder than -10C. We didn't go to far, but did get some fresh air into the old lungs.

My poor old cat had an awful fall last evening. There are open beams running across the livingroom, ten feet up. The cats often sit up there. I don't know what happened to the old gal but she fell to the rug below, landing on her feet. She was a bit limpy walking away from the rough landing, but it soon passed. We gave her a through examination and didn't find signs of any injury. No broken bones or dislocations. I think she just had a good bruising thump. I carried her up to my bedroom and gave her the fleecy housecoat to snuggle up in. She slept there until I went to bed when she wandered off, no limping. I noticed today that she was a bit stiff when trying to jump up on the old recliner where she has her fleece blanket. I'm keeping a close eye on her.

Tomorrow I will be on the blower to my insurance agent to see if we can get some more contacts for this chimney fire business. I'm at the point where I don't even know who to call. I swear work ethic took a crap during Covid. The stress of this mess is giving me a headache....

My amaryllis is in full bloom. There are four gigantic flowers right now with another flower bud emerging from the bulb. 


Each flower is six or seven inches across. The plant is very top heavy so I've put it into a stone flower bowl that is weighty enough to hold it's own.
The painting of the ancient totems in the background is by my good friend Marley. She's an interesting artist who captures the real CANADA in her work. I have numerous pieces she painted of Algonquin Park scenes.  She has also done some really nice pieces for the War Museum in Ottawa.

7 comments:

  1. It is difficult to know what to do with a really heavy amaryllis. I once resorted to tying the stem to another plant's stand with soft green wool that I hoped would not show up too badly. Otherwise, the thing was going to be lying sideways.
    The insurance - I hope you get it nailed down as soon as possible, because these things also go sideways, and it is not nice to strangle insurance agents, even with soft green wool.
    Our grandkid's kitten once went down off a railing and through open stairs, two flights of the floating staircase. She seemed okay, vet cleared her, but her purr never came back. How weird is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really strange. My first try at this comment just went 'poof' and I got a nice white blank.
    Try again. I once tied an amaryllis to another plant's stand with soft green wool to keep it upright.
    I hope the insurance thing clears up very soon; it is totally stressful and no wonder your head aches. (The air here was also very dry today; we now have the wind up and the weather seems to be changing. My ears popped. Not a good sign.) I think you might allow yourself a very small tantrum. I once wrote a really nasty but polite letter and posted it to my blog. All of a sudden, I got marvellous service. It seems there was someone who followed mentions on line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your cat. I am glad she is ok. I bet dealing with the fire is extremly stressful and exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed that the cat got up there in the first place. Ours has trouble getting onto a bed or chair. Seriously. It's pitiful really, but she and I are a good match, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad your cat landed on its feet. Whew. But OK -- scary, but OK. You must be exhausted with all this. But that amaryllis is gorgeous and offers at least a bit of brightness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad the kitty is ok. The Amarayllis is lovely. My sister has a crazy 7 blooms on hers this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Amaryllis! Hope you get the Ins Co some grief as this heat situation needs to be resolved...it is winter!

    ReplyDelete