Thursday, May 2, 2024

Frustration with weeds

 These lovely days have me outdoors trying to get the garden settled before the dratted black flies swarm in. I think they call them MIDGES in the UK. They swarm around your head and you don't feel them bite. At the end of the day you look at yourself in a mirror to be greeted by black and blue blotches and blood all over exposed skin. They love scalps and ears and eyes. They were out in droves today, but thankfully not biting yet. Within a week they will be driving man and beast CRAZY.

The flower garden at the side porch is over run by that awful herb/weed called creeping charlie.  I got the bright idea to dig it all out. After about an hour I determined that was a lost cause. Instead I tore down the short brick wall holding back the nice soil. Tomorrow I will dig out the plantings I want to salvage and move them to a nicer spot. We will get the grass grow back and keep mowing right up to the side of the porch.

There are so many beautiful birds serenading us out here. The warm days make sitting out on the back porch with that first cup of tea pure pleasure.

I had a chat with my virtual family doctor today. I'm scheduled for an appointment for ultrasound and a meet up with the flesh and blood surgeon. This gall bladder business is driving me batty. It's getting to the point that I'm afraid to eat for fear it will stir things up. I had a nasty episode of pancreatitis a few years back that landed me in hospital. At no time was I told that my gall bladder issue was the probable trigger....until today. If you don't know the questions to ask it seems like they aren't going to be to forthcoming.

Last summer a visitor broke the sliding screen in our back door. We bought one of those magnetic things to get us through the rest of the season. We haven't got around to ordering a new screen yet so I went digging for the magnetic curtain. When I was rooting around in the mitten bin for it I found a bag of yarn that I promised to my neighbour way up the top of the road. It seemed like a good day to harness up the dog and walk up to her place.  It's a kilometer and a half to her house, so we were up to three by the time we got home again. That distance (a little over a mile for you folks on imperial measures) felt like ten kilometers! We have to stick to a plan and get back in shape.

11 comments:

  1. I went for a walk after supper and after swatting around my head a few times I realized that it is indeed blackfly season again!! And they love me. - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say the same about getting in shape. One day i wonder if that will happen!?
    We have hats like tilly style with a netting that tucks in our shirts. We'll be getting them out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've often wondered about midges. It makes sense that they are similar to our black flies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the serenading birds (and frogs) that I always liked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Black flies are horrid! I gave up on Creeping Charlie and have decided that I will "love" those purple blooms, because they aren't going anywhere! I've had the gall bladder thing. Do it before you end up in the ER and they need to do it pronto. It's not a bad surgery (don't cough much for a week or two!) but such a relief.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The roots on Creeping Charlie are nearly impossible to get rid of.
    Late Wife had her Gall bladder removed, minimally invasive. Back to normal the following week.
    1 Mile=1.609 Kilometers. 1 Kilometer=.622 Miles
    Be Safe and Enjoy the Spring weather, but not the Flies.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my yes, dear little black biters in droves. My girls as children would play outside anyway, and come in with blood caked and streaming from behind their ears and any other vulnerable spot. I grew up in southern Ontario where we did not have them, and they came as an awful shock.
    Well done on the walk. With repellant, I hope, of some strength.
    We decided to fix the weed problem by skinning off the topsoil, putting in a flat barrier and covering that with gravel. The creeping charley AND the raspberry canes love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I had to choose between them...I prefer the black flies to mosquitoes and deer flies! Creeping Charlie is edible!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We call them no see ums and the bites are so bad, they will be here before long. Hope you get rid of the pesky gallbladder, the surgery was easy for me and I felt so much better almost immediately:)

    ReplyDelete