Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Greening Up

 We've had some steady rain over the past 24 hours. I'm happy with that because I got the onions and gladiolus planted in the back garden. Yesterday I got mad at the tomatoes that were NOT sprouting. I moved all of the seedlings that were nicely UP from under the lights, and put them on the warm sunny south windowsill. The pots that weren't showing any sign of life went under the lights. Overnight I am seeing green sprouts! We have some warmer sunny days coming so some of the plants will be going outdoors during the day.

My grandchildren planted these daffies 20 years ago. I'm glad they are still growing and thriving, even though that old flower bed has been taken over by sweet fern. I wish I had a strong enough mower to cut it all down. 


Mr. M brought home a lovely big bunch of purple tulip buds a few days ago. They are hanging in there!


Last Sunday we took a drive to Barrys Bay and then down Siberia Road to Combermere. Along former Hwy 62/Combermere Road there is a beautiful park on a high bit of rock cut on the old Oram homestead. I've been up there numerous times in the fall. We were surprised at how nice the new rock wall looks. The old one was too low and was falling down. Unfortunately all of the toilets have been taken out of the stops along this highway. The tanks for the old vault toilet are still there. What gives??
There is an old shipwreck off those two islands in the distance. Before there was a highway coming up to Barrys Bay from the south, travellers were transported on the S.S.Mayflower. There is quite a story about the sinking. They were transporting a body in a coffin. It floated to the surface which saved the lives of a couple of people. 

The new stone wall is a work of art. 


3 comments:

  1. Yay for the tomato seedlings! I haven't got organized enough to even get my plants yet. Finally, a couple or three dry days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely drive, but I had never heard about the coffin. Will retell to daughter.
    It is very frustrating, and more so as age hits the bladder, that the roadside 'rest stops' are being let go. And even where there are facilities, they get closed far too early. If you are male, at least you can water a tire, looking casual and together, but if you need to squat to pee, no luck sister. It is interesting that a woman sued I think, Amsterdam, for failing to provide sit-down accomodation and won.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing how fast things green up once it starts? Here, too. I love your daffs!

    ReplyDelete