Saturday, April 27, 2024

complain complain

 Dear daughter and I went to the Valley Showcase trade show today. I guess we might as well have stayed home because there was absolutely nothing there to interest us. We finished our jaunt at WalMart so I could buy five more bags of potting soil. Five more should finish my projects for this year.

I'm a bit ticked with Amazon this week. At the beginning of the week I order a case of cat food, a bottle of vitamins, a pair of leggings to wear with my kameeze dress, a box of latex gloves and a package of laundry detergent sheets. It was one order due to arrive on the 23. On that day a CanPar truck pulled up and left a WalMart box on our doorstep. What the hey???? I opened it up to find the case of cat food. I didn't order it from WM!!!! Yesterday a padded envelope was left at the door. It was the leggings. Today there were three boxes and another padded envelope. The envelope contained the laundry sheets. I buy them to reduce my plastic use for goodness sake!! Another box the size of a large shoe box contained the bottle of vitamins. The next box was the latex gloves and the last had something else, what was it? I forget. I think the time has come to cut the apron strings with that place. I hate shopping. Unfortunately it's difficult to find some of our favorite products at small family owned places in the nearby community. I kind of feel like shopping at WM is six of one, or half dozen of the other (Amazon).

We're in for a string of rainy days.  We had a break after dinner so I went out and emptied the bags of potting soil and raked the big box nice and level.  I'll let the rain get that box ready for the planting! It's a big box, about six by six feet. I'm only going to plant beans and tomatoes in it this year. Peas take far too much space for the result. Two of the smaller beds are full of garlic. Once it is pulled I will plant salad greens in one and carrots in the other. The middle box has horseradish and herbs, so it's a permanent planter.  I need to plant the gladiolus corms I bought today. I'll start them indoors in pots to give them a good jump start in warmth, then put them in the garden later in May. I find our soil stays too cold to late into the spring so they are late sprouting outdoors. They often get knocked out by frost before they amount to anything. 


5 comments:

  1. Sue often asks me to order X from amazon when I am making another order, but it doesn't really matter since items often come separately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when they send something very small in a box that's very big! It's happened more than once and I just don't get it. We're due for that week of rain, too. I hope it's just showers not a flooding deluge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I refuse to buy from Amazon because I absolutely hate how they split up the order and ship many little packages. Imagine the carbon footprint! Especially here, bringing one thing at a time in almost 5 Km, then driving back out. I agree about peas not giving a lot of "bang for your buck", but they are so delicious..I'm growing two barrels full for a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it crazy what they ship our items in? A big box for a little tiny item, Bill notices that with his airplane stuff more than me. I guess when it all comes from different vendors you could get them on different days. I hope you are happy with most of the product at least. :(

    ReplyDelete