Sunday, September 13, 2026

Harvest time

 My garden has been pretty well finished, and the grass cut. The turnip and carrots can still until hard freeze. We will pull them as we need them until then.

My friendly neighbour, the appliance repair man, is giving me some tubs from washing machines. I'm going to put them behind the shed and use them as big flower pots, though not flowers. The plan is to put one tomato plant in each. Yeah, I'm big on container gardening.

This weekend we have been busy processing apples. Two of M clients have gifted us a large quantity of beauties. Our dehydrator has been very busy! This afternoon we went and picked another bag! We made apple pies for the freezer. Tomorrow we will try to finish up this bag.

A deer was in the yard snorting at the Princess Pup when I took her out for her bedtime piddle. I've been dumping the apple peels for the critters to enjoy. 

5 comments:

  1. You are getting ready already. ✔️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are contemplating buying a second freezer!

      Delete
  2. If you have a campfire area - take one of those tubs from the washing machines and use it for holding your fire. Absolutely beautiful with the fire light shining out through all the holes. Keeps the ashes contained and is super light and easy to dump out when necessary. They are usually stainless steel and so, will never rust. I was gifted one years ago and still love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My container garden is a little different than yours but I am very grateful for it with this rocky soil we have up here on the ridge.

    ReplyDelete