Friday, July 17, 2026

Living in the woods

 Or why I live, where I live

My home is approximately half way between the small city and "the Lake".

There is a tiny village just up the way. It has a church and a cluster of homes, a coffee roaster and not much else. There is no store or post office or coffee shop. Just a kilometer up the highway is my road running to the south west. There are 25 households down here so I guess we qualify as a small subdivision.

Most nights we are serenaded by coyotes, owls and an occasional wolf. The neighbouring chicken farm has a couple of lads who herald our wakeup call. There are frequent wanderers moving through the yard. I've seen bear, moose, deer, foxes, and raccoons. Yes, we have seen a wolf and the odd coyote too. We had a wolf sit and watch a worker tune up our AC unit one summer afternoon! He wasn't aggressive, just curious. Once he was satisfied with what he was doing he wandered across the front field and out the lane.


 

It is very peaceful here. It's usually a few degrees cooler than up at the highway where the heat radiates off the pavement.

My home is at the very end of the road, so frequent power and internet outages are a fact of life. We cope. We learned how the hard way.   








7 comments:

  1. Love that. Great pics of the critters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read via Feedly the version where you bemoaned the lack of photos, but you figured it out, and here they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is lovely. You learn to work within your environment and distance to other spots. I worry about you with fires but they can happen anywhere and I know you are prepared. Your house looks cute! The bear? Not so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always worry about fires in the dead of summer. There were a few small ones close by last summer, but so far it's all good. The critters don't worry me at all. Well, maybe the coyotes, because they don't have any manners despite living among us. But they hide during the day.

      Delete
  4. We can't all love the same living arrangements. As much as your home is lovely, I would be too much on edge about Gibbs and myself going outside. I love how happy and content you sound in your settlement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive been here 40 years so well aclimatized

      Delete