Saturday dawned sunny and bright but the humidity had left the scene!
After M finished repairing the S.B. We loaded the Princess Pup, water bottles, towels and sunscreen and headed south west. We stopped in Barrys Bay for ice cream first. M enjoys fruity types so he had a peach something or other. I've been wanting to try Kawartha Dairy (our favorite brand) flavour called Tragically Chip. They finally had some! It's a mixture of maple, whiskey, cherry and chocolate. Any of these flavours individually I would love. The cherries seemed to be soaked in the whiskey flavouring. Too big of a chunk of that bit was almost bitter. I had it, it was interesting, but I wouldn't buy it again. There was just TO MUCH going on flavour wise.
Kawartha Dairy is located just a bit south in Bobcageon, Ontario. They are known for the unique flavour combinations in their ice creams. In the summer they roll out some interesting offerings for the season. We tried the butter tart a few weeks ago. Again it was interesting and tasty, but not for us. Our favorite so far has been the blueberry cheesecake.
Cones in hand we drove through town and headed up Paugh Lake Road. This lovely country lane meanders through the forest just south of Algonquin Park. There are a couple of side roads that run up either side of Paugh Lake. I forget the name of the road we took, but it's on the east side. There is a small natural beach next to the boat ramp. It's a nice sandy bottom. We can't deal with weeds! The water was really warm for the beginning of July. M and the pup enjoyed a swim while I just waded to my knees. (I'm a good swimmer but have a fear of open water after a near drowning as a youngster.)
We had a nice leisurely drive home. Yes, it was a grand day.
I see Kawartha in the grocery store and tend to purchase it or Chapman’s, two Canadian dairies. I seem to recall an ice cream outlet on the way to the cottage near Apsley from the south many years ago. I tink it was Lakefield. It was. Along time ago. I wonder if it is still there.
ReplyDeleteThat would be Hamblins Ice Cream shop. I'm pretty sure they are still there. When my father was in the nursing home in Peterborough Hamblins would host Ice Cream socials for the residents. My father loved those outings. On the subject of ice cream, a lot of what they sell in the grocery stores now isn't even ice cream. One popular brand has been prohibited from using those words on the containers.
DeleteGlad you had an Enjoyable Day.
ReplyDeleteI hate that I swim like a rock.
Stay Safe and Enjoy!
It's about time.
'Twas a beauty of a day.
ReplyDeleteThe traffic in BB on Fri. was backed up in all directions from the 3-way for a block or more, so we took back streets to Paugh L. road and came home that way, no traffic whatsoever.
Paugh Lake Rd is a lovely drive. It's in really good shape these days despite all that heavy equipment working there. I wonder if they keep it graded. We almost bought a place right at the end of the hydro line about 13 yrs ago. We were sad to see it is quite derelict now. I wonder if it ever sold?
DeleteWhat a wonderful day that must have been! I'm jealous of the beach AND the ice cream but not necessarily those flavours. I can't get past my old standby of peanut butter and chocolate.......well, maybe heavenly hash which has nice chunks of chocolate. Such a kid, I am!
ReplyDelete