Saturday, August 1, 2026

Door in old wood houses

 Door is in but awaits trimming. 

It was like a sauna outdoors all day, then the rain came. 

It roared and poured pretty much all afternoon so M quit for the day. He is not happy with the look of gaps in certain places, though the big patio door IS square and level. This old wood house has settled and twisted, hahaha. 

I had a laugh with my neighbour who had a nearly 150 year old log house. He told me a story about trying to install a door with his f.i.l. When Poppa and B were here yesterday she was telling me about their basement door starting to sag. They live in the original homestead dwelling in their hamlet. It's one of the oldest in our township.

Old wood houses throw up some frustrating challenges.

I'm not taking any photos until it is all trimmed out and the glass washed. It sure is a lot brighter in the kitchen, compared to the old clouded up French doors.

4 comments:

  1. I remember my BiL hanging s bathroom door. He cut it 2” too narrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In an old house, nothing is level or plumb....but it sure has character!
    It's wonderful to have a bright, sunny kitchen, so much more incentive to spend time there.
    We are up to 90mm of rain at present, and still counting. What a monsoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having owned a Century Home, I remember the challenges of renovations. Hope things improve for you soon.
    Stay Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you'll discover a lot of strange things in the older home but if the end result is more light, I'm all for it. 🥰

    ReplyDelete