Thursday, December 21, 2023

Oh Happy Day

 


The poochie and I are heading into the woods in a few minutes to collect balsam boughs to do our Solstice Table. I'll collect all the candles and light the tree.
Do you know how many of our "Christmas" traditions are rooted in ancient Yuletide celebrations that are thousands of years old?
The candles/fire, greenery and feasting are all ancient rituals.
The church didn't appreciate the folks holding on to their pagan Solstice/Yuletide celebrations so securely. "Old" European Christmas was the first week in January. Some Pope decided that December 25, in the middle of both celebrations could pull it all together.


We are looking forward to the days growing longer again.
Here's to better days ahead.
Happy Solstice! 



As the sun sets over my hill

I light the candles

And the tree


6 comments:

  1. Happy Solstice. It’s a great reason to celebrate life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS just beautiful!
    It is lovely and crispy this AM, with everything coated in hoar frost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. I trust you enjoyed your little celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful. I celebrate Christmas, but I'm not Christian. I just find it to be a fun tradition to close the end of the year. Thank you for such a great post. I keep looking for bloggers who post still. It's hard to find great blogs without a lot of ads, because it makes for difficult reading. I appreciate your blog, and I am going to start following your page. ❤️

    ReplyDelete