Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Well that was nice!

 We had quite a good dump of snow overnight, and for awhile this morning It was like a snow globe all shook up when I looked out my bedroom window.

M was home today. He was going to take me for a quick whip around a couple of shops. We both had prescriptions to pick up and he needed to do his business banking. We hit the Metro cheese bar, but our energy ground to a hault after that. It was time to drive home with the sun in our eyes.

Our only luxuries in life are good coffee and great cheese. We have found a great coffee roaster in the nearby village of Killaloe. It's called Engine House. They have a number of varieties with names like Boxcar and Still Standing. We recently came upon a TV program from 2022 about cheese. The host and his family have a huge cheese market in Toronto. Each episode he visits a different country or province and explores their cheese culture. We took note of some names, then hit the cheese bar at the local Metro store. We found three new to us varieties and one old favorite from the UK. We sampled two after dinner tonight. It has been years since I last had blue cheese, and I remember how much I love it.



8 comments:

  1. It appears that our lovely snow will be melting away. Love your ideas for a 'quiet time', knitting and reading...Glad the 'busy-ness' is mostly over. Enjoy your cheese and coffee. Cheese makes everything better! My go-to is a good cup of tea. I think coffee smells better than it tastes!, although I used to drink it a lot. We've had lunch at the Engine House a couple of times.
    Happy and peaceful Christmas and all the best for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We go there about once a month for coffee. I took an elderly friend for lunch at Thanksgiving. They have the Best date squares! I'm a tea drinker too. Maybe coffee, three times a week. Best wishes to you and yours Rosalea!

      Delete
  2. T'is the cheesy season . . . I mean the season to bring out the cheeses. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheese is the most essential food in life! My three current favourites, bought at our local deli, are Danish Fontina, Mushroom Oka and English Stilton. Asiago is not far behind. With a fresh baguette, some Italian country olives and a glass of Malbec, the world is a lovely place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gone off Oka. Not the same as it used to be. Also Balderson cheeses are hohum. For regular Canadian cheddar we've been eating Maple Dale. I love British, Or Welsh Cheddar for snacking.

      Delete
  4. Great cheese. Yes. Yes, yes! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only had blue cheese on a burger. I prefer gouda or mozzarella.

    ReplyDelete