Wednesday, March 13, 2024

I'll tell you why

 Are you familiar with that old adage, "Getting old ain't for sissy's"?

I feel it in my bones more and more every day. Having a lot of stress in our lives right now is not helping us live our "best life". 

But folks, we do feel like we are living our Best Life these days. Yes, we are out at the back end of nowhere. Yes, the house needs a big fix. Yes, we live below the poverty line.

On the other hand, we have our health. The home is paid for. The big fix is covered by insurance.

We live a very quiet life and our needs are met. Our wants are pretty humble. We are old school folks in that respect. Needs take priority over any wants, so they get saved for. Sometimes it takes quite awhile. We had quite a good vacation last summer. We could only afford that because we were effectively living in isolation for several years and didn't spend any money. (Weren't we all!)

The small city close to us has become a nightmare. We wouldn't venture there at night unless it was an emergency. Last night there was a stabbing. There are drug addled people falling down dead on the street for goodness sake. What a heartbreaking scene the downtown has become. Stores are once again shuttering the doors for good.  

Out here in the boonies there isn't really any crime to worry about.  We all have big dogs that sound warnings and are quick to chase off intruders. We have nothing of value anyway.  We have nice gardens. I doubt a big veggie plot would last long in the city. Vandals are always attacking the community garden behind the old convent. We have wonderful neighbours who we feel are another branch of family. Some of them are pretty eccentric, but in a good way.  I doubt if my family in the town even know their neighbours.

When my husband passed away suddenly twenty years ago, my children were rather insistent that I needed to move to S.Ontario to be closer to them. I dug in my heels. When I read the news from the old hometown, and talk to my dear brother who still lives there, I'm horrified. He has constant break ins despite lights, cameras and a big rowdy dog.

Why do I live where I live? Need you ask why? 


6 comments:

  1. It's important to find and be in a spot where you feel safe. And what you say about the good things really does put it all in perspective, doesn't it. Well stated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right "Getting old is not for sissies."
    If you watch the news, it seems that nowhere is safe from the madness. Hang in there, things will get better.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really sounds idyllic, quiet and quite nice...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are living a pretty good life and I love that you are satisfied with it. You have a lovely place to live and I can tell you enjoy it. Old school is GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, we get along without too many extras, but we have enough, for now anyway. Thanks goodness there is not a whole lot of crime here in CP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree too, 'getting old ain't for sissies'. I could tell you, it sure isn't!

    ReplyDelete