Thursday, March 21, 2024

Impatient for things

 With that lovely weather behind us, and cold blowing snow every day, I'm getting impatient for spring to well and truly arrive. Spring weather that is, I know spring has "officially" landed of course.

Our car is in the garage getting a major repair to the front end. I hate when major things go wrong. Living in the back end of nowhere, it's always a cause of some anxiety.

I've kept myself busy making Easter Eggs for the kids. Do you know about Laura Secord Cream Eggs? When my sister was in school, they made a quite authentic facsimile  in Home Economics class. I still have the recipe. It's a kind of tedious process but the end result is yummy. The filling happens one day. It needs to be mixed and kneaded, shaped into "yolks" then wrapped with white, then into the freezer. Day two is for the chocolate dipping. My goodness, I dropped a couple into the hot chocolate and another fell on the floor. I had to scurry to get it before the dog gobbled it up! I washed it off and set it aside. I may or may not nibble that one.  I ended up with a dozen eggs, ready to decorate. 

There is still no movement with our chimney work. The restoration company is trying to line up trades.  You would think they would be jumping to take an insurance job wouldn't you? To be honest, we don't want any work to start until after April 5 now. That's when our new gas furnace is being installed which does not require a chimney.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the lovely tulips I planted last fall. 



11 comments:

  1. It's so hard to wait, especially when it's cold. I need to buy eggs this weekend for coloring. I dye and decorate them raw (except for a few for salads or deviled) and then use them for scrambles. It makes me happy when I open the egg box and see all the bright colors. Doesn't take much, does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you dye with natural things? I have lots of red onion skins, beet juice, turmeric waiting to do some eggs. I only have natural colored eggs right now, but plan to get some white ones from the store once the car is fixed.

      Delete
  2. I have tulips in the house that my darling daugther bought me. And JG says he can see the tips of the resident bulbs today, although let us hope they are staying snug and not trying to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My crocus and dafs will be under snow for awhile yet. The garlic and tulips soil is FROZEN HARD.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, you have more patience (& good heartedness!) than I do to make those eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Tis a little nippy out! That north wind is brutal, but so nice to see the sun. Everything is frozen solid again, including the pond, which has re-iced over. Think it will be awhile for the tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a time when an LS egg ate Easter was a must. But I don't even like them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lot of work, that I'm sure puts smiles on a lot of faces.
    We've gotten Four Inches (10cm) since 9:00 with more to come.
    You'll love the new furnace.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the hibernation.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's missing us. My sister in Sarnia says they got some too, but it's melted on the pavements

      Delete
  7. Yummy sounding recipe! Having lived in older houses with chimneys, it's a little weird to ride down our street and see no chimneys at all!

    ReplyDelete