Sunday, March 3, 2024

Seedy Sunday

 The only year I missed Seedy Sunday was due to just having knee replacement surgery. One other year I wasn't home for the local event, but attended the Toronto show at Evergreen Brickworks.

Today was a BIG showing. It was hard to find parking, but I caught a break. Someone moved out right close to the entrance while I was approaching.

My big purchases were four new varieties of tomato. I was looking for Brandywine, but couldn't find any there. There were some nice offerings from GAIA in Manotick. He has to be one of the biggest tomato "breeders" in Canada. I like that they are reasonably close to us so I know our climates match. This company used to be called Greta's Seeds. I sure miss Greta. She had such an encyclopedic knowledge of tomatoes and how to grow them.

My other purchase was some nice homegrown soap from a local vendor. I've purchased from this vendor for years.

Later this afternoon I got the first lot of tomatoes put to bed in the hydroponic thing. They need a long season. 

Some folks in our area are STILL without power! The village of Eganville didn't get back online until later this afternoon.

8 comments:

  1. Glad you made it out to Seedy Sunday. Such an appropriate but still funny name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information. Now we'll know why our Tomatoes didn't take.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were through Eganville yesterday, and all was closed and dark. Figured it was a power outage. Did you start tomato seeds in your Aerogarden? I recently attended a talk on Winter Sowing.... going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did put the first lot in last evening. In two weeks, with hopes they are well sprouted, I will pot them up under my grow lights, and start a second seeding of a different variety. I'm doing starts for my brother in law out at Lake Clear and my neighbour across the road, as well as my own. My B.I.L. tried starting in his greenhouse last year and didn't find that his plants did so well.

      Delete
  4. Seedy Sunday -- what a great idea! Never heard of one similar around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a project by a group called SEEDS OF CREATION. I know they are all over Canada but not sure about US. It's a great little event with lots of vendors of seeds and plant oriented items, some produce, some baked goods, bits of this and that.

      Delete
  5. I have had a massive seed failure. I'm not sure I will try again!

    ReplyDelete